Elizabeth A. Gilbert
Elizabeth Gilbert has been a trial attorney since 1995 and joined Jones, Skelton & Hochuli in 2012. She has tried over 75 jury trials in both criminal and civil matters. Ms. Gilbert spent the first 12 years of her legal career at the Maricopa County Attorney’s Office where she prosecuted violent criminals, including large, high-profile gang/criminal syndicate cases involving joint state and federal task forces. In 2007, she joined the firm of Wilkes & McHugh, to represent individuals who had suffered injuries as a result of abuse and/or neglect pursuant to the Adult Protective Services Act.
Ms. Gilbert’s practice is focused on defending public entities in civil litigation involving civil rights claims, discrimination claims under both state and federal law, such as age/gender discrimination and sexual harassment, defending employers in employment-related matters, including allegations of retaliation and wrongful termination, and defending healthcare entities in lawsuits alleging violations of the Adult Protective Services Act, medical negligence and wrongful death.
Professional Associations & Memberships
- State Bar of Arizona (Member)
Professional Recognitions & AwardsMs. Gilbert received the Honor Award from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives in 2008 for her work on the White Supremacy investigation/prosecution which was concluded in 2007.
Presentations & Publications
- “Newman v. Select Specialty Hospital: What it
Means to Those Who Sue You,” Presenter, Arizona Health Care Association’s Strive for 5 Forum: Legal Game Changers, February 2017
- “Defensive Documentation”, Presenter, Arizona Health Care Association, Legal Forum, April 2016
- "Pregnancy Discrimination and Religious Discrimination: The New Landscape," Co-Presenter, Arizona Counties Insurance Pool 19th Annual Public Practice Legal Seminar, May 2016
- "Pregnancy Discrimination and Religious Discrimination: The New Landscape," Co-Presenter, Arizona Paralegal Association (APA) Annual Legal Seminar, May 2016
- "Pregnancy Discrimination and Religious Discrimination: The New Landscape," Co-Presenter, Current Issues in Governmental Liability Seminar, November 2015
- "How FOIA Requests Can Assist a Claims Adjuster in Investigating a Loss," Co-Author, Facts & Findings, May 2015
- “Shining a Light on the Public’s ‘Right to Know’: An Update on Public Records Law,” Presenter, Arizona Paralegal Association’s Annual Legal Seminar, May 2015
- “Taking The Bite Out Of Damages: Recoverability, Legal Defenses, and Current Trends,” Presenter, 2014 JSH Annual Seminar: It’s All Fun and Games Until Someone Gets Hurt, November 2014
- “Shining A Light On The Public's "Right To Know": An Update On Public Records Law,” Presenter, 2014 JSH Annual Seminar: Current Issues in Governmental Liability, November 2014
- "The Application of the Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act in Litigation," Author, JSH Reporter, Fall 2014
- "Keeping Up with Employment Law," Presenter, Arizona Health Care Association, August 2014
- “Medical Questions You Want to Ask...but Don’t Know if You Can,” Presenter, Arizona Counties Insurance Pool HR Summit, June 2014
- "Bullying in the Workplace," Presenter, Arizona Counties Insurance Pool HR Summit, June 2014
- "Who's The Boss: Employer Liability After Vance v. Ball State, Is the Line Really as Bright as the Court Intended?" Co-Author, IADC Employment Law Newsletter, July 2013