Ashley Villaverde Halvorson’s practice focuses on defending insurance company clients in bad faith litigation, providing insurance coverage advice, and defending general personal injury and wrongful death actions.
As a passionate supporter of diversity in the profession and the Latino community in Arizona, Ashley serves on the firm’s Diversity Committee and chairs its Diversity Legal Writing Program, an internship providing students from diverse backgrounds the opportunity to gain legal experience in large firms. Since 2010, Ashley has been an active member of Los Abogados, Arizona’s Hispanic Bar Association. She was elected to serve as President in 2018, and has previously served as Vice President, Secretary, and on several committees focused on mentorship and fundraising for scholarships for Latino law students.
Prior to joining JSH, Ashley interned for Rep. Ed Pastor, U.S. House of Representatives; former Arizona Governor Janet Napolitano; Hon. Mary Murguia, formerly of the U.S. District Court for the District of Arizona; and Hon. Jon W. Thompson, Arizona Court of Appeals.
As Arizona natives, Ashley and her husband, Mike, spend much of their free time chasing after their son, cheering on the Arizona Cardinals and ASU Sun Devils, and escaping to cooler temperatures in Flagstaff.
- Prevailed on a motion for summary judgment, limiting damages from a $3.3 million stipulated judgment to the $100,000 auto policy limit. Redmond v. Mid-Century Insurance (Farmers), et al. (2015)
- Obtained defense verdict in bad faith and breach of contract action, which was listed as “Arizona Significant Defense Verdict of 2012” in Arizona Attorney Magazine, June 2013. Barbara Sloan v. Farmers Insurance Company of Arizona, Farmers Insurance Exchange, and Farmers Group, Inc. (2012)
- Prevailed on summary judgment on issue of when claim for legal malpractice accrued. Best Choice Fund v. Low & Childers and USA Risk Group, 228 Ariz. 502, 269 P.3d 678 (App. 2011)
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Los Abogados, Hispanic Bar Association, President 2018, Vice President 2017; Secretary 2015-2016, Member, 2013-Present
- State Bar of Arizona, Committee on Minorities and Women in the Law, 2012-2015
- Arizona Collaborative Bar, collaboration of Arizona’s diverse bar associations
- Association of Defense Trial Attorneys
- Arizona Association of Defense Counsel
- Defense Research Institute
Professional Recognitions & Awards
- Emerging Leader, Los Abogados, 2017
- AzBusiness Magazine Most Influential Women, 2017
- Top Lawyers Under 40 Award, Hispanic National Bar Association, 2017
- Southwest Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2013-2017
Presentations & Publications
- “Bad Faith Nightmares: Recent Trends & Themes in Bad Faith and Extra-Contractual Insurance Litigation,” Hispanic National Bar Association Annual Convention, September 2017
- “How To Avoid The Hot Seat: Good Claims Handling In Arizona,” Presenter, JSH Annual Seminar: It’s All Fun and Games Until Someone Gets Hurt, November 2014
- “Deposing the Expert Witness in a Personal Injury Case,” Co-Presenter, State Bar of Arizona, September, 2014
- “Reservation of Rights,” Arizona DRI Compendium, Co-Author, 2013
- “Early Claims Investigation and Evaluation,” Presenter, JSH Seminar, October 2013
- “Overview of Insurance Defense – Premises, Products and Auto,” Co-Presenter, Insurance Defense Institute, July 2013
- “Overview of Insurance Defense: Coverage and Bad Faith Practice,” Co-Presenter, Insurance Defense Institute, July 2013
- “Ethics for Insurance Defense Counsel and Effective Negotiation and Settlement Techniques,” Co-Presenter, Insurance Defense Institute, July 2013
- “Practical Considerations of Everyday Case Handling,” Co-Presenter, Insurance Defense Institute, July 2013
Arizona State University, Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law, J.D., 2009
Arizona State University, B.A., Political Science, cum laude, 2005