Currently serving as the Vice Chair of the Premises & Security Liability Section of the Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel, Mike is also a past-President of the Arizona Association of Defense Counsel, has served on the Construction Law Steering Committee for the Defense Research Institute, and is past Chair of USLAW’s Construction Practice Group. Mike co-authored the Arizona Construction Practice Manual published by the Arizona State Bar and has served as a member of the Executive Council for the State Bar’s Construction Section.
Mike has successfully represented developers, owners, subcontractors, design professionals and product manufacturers in more than 500 construction defect cases throughout his 20 years of practice. A few of his representative matters include:
• Defended valet service against wrongful death and traumatic brain injury claim with a demand of $20 million.
• Obtained summary judgment on behalf of client, a property and casualty insurance company, on declaratory judgment action holding no E&O coverage for injury to employee while receiving adjustments during course of employment. MSJ upheld by Court of Appeals.
• Obtained summary judgment dismissing direct claims against subcontractors by homeowners because no contractual privity existed. MSJ upheld by Court of Appeals.
• Represented developer against claims made by condominium association and obtained summary judgment dismissing developer from claims because implied warranty did not extend to subsequent purchasers of commercial property and economic loss doctrine barred association from recovering any economic losses under a tort theory.
• Defended modular custom home manufacturer in a class action construction defect lawsuit by getting the class certification denied.
• Defended popular Arizona-based Mexican restaurant in a dram shop liability trial where Plaintiff sought $800,000 in personal injury and facial scarring.
• Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a golf club manufacturer for claims of defamation.
• Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a charter school facing allegations made by former employee for wrongful termination and personal injury.
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel, Premises & Security Liability Section, Vice Chair, 2017-2018
- Arizona Association of Defense Counsel, Past President; Board of Directors, 2005-2014
- State Bar of Arizona, Construction Section Executive Council, 2007-2010; Trial Practice Section Executive Committee, 2006-2007
- USLAW Network, Construction Practice Group Board Member, 2007-2010
- Arizona Builders Alliance, Member
- Defense Research Institute, Member; Construction Law Steering Committee, 2005-2008, 2010-2011, 2013-2014; State Representative, 2014
- Maricopa County Bar Association, Construction Section Board of Directors, 2004-2005
- Claims and Litigation Management, Member
- National Eagle Scout Association, Member
Professional Recognitions & Awards
- Listed, Best Lawyers in America®, Construction Law, 2014-Present
- Listed, Arizona’s Finest Lawyers, 2010-Present
- Listed, Southwest Super Lawyers®, 2007, 2010-Present
- AV® Preeminent™ Rated on Martindale Hubbell
Presentations & Publications
Mike frequently presents at national and regional conferences for organizations including AADC, USLAW Network, AGC, ACIC and other insurance events. Committed to helping his clients better manage their businesses, Mike has authored and co-authored numerous educational articles. Hi presentations and publications include:
- “Keep It Simple Stupid: Remembering the Basics in a Construction Defect Indemnity Case to Minimize Surprises Down the Road,” Co-Author, FDCC Insights, Volume 4, December 2017
- “Indecent Exposure: New Decision Confirms Subcontractor’s Liability to CD Damages is Expansive,” JSH Reporter, Fall 2017 Issue
- “Slow and Steady Wins The Race,” Speaker/Facilitator, USLAW Construction Exchange, October 2017
- “State of Arizona Construction Compendium,” Author, USLAW Network, 2017
- “Arizona Construction Law Practice Manual, 3rd Ed. 2016,” Co-Author, Published by the State Bar of Arizona, 2016
- “When Bears Attack: Your Defense Attorney’s Tips to Prepare for Lawsuits,” Co-Presenter, Capitol Indemnity Company’s General Agents Underwriting Workshop, June 2016
- “The Different Warranties Covering A Contractor’s Work,” Author, JSH Reporter, Summer 2015
- “Hot Topics in Construction Law,” Moderator, USLAW Spring Client Conference, April 2015
- “Jobsite Accident & Injury Claims: Countering the Crisis,” Presenter, Arizona Builders’ Alliance Webinar, December 2014
- “Taking The Bite Out Of Damages: Recoverability, Legal Defenses, and Current Trends,” Presenter, JSH Annual Seminar: It’s All Fun and Games Until Someone Gets Hurt, November 2014
- “Liability Issues,” Subcontractor Discussion Leader and Presenter, USLAW Construction Exchange, October 2014
- “Hold Up Issues: Construction Defect, Toxic & Mass Torts, and Minor’s Claims,” IAIR Insurance Insolvency Workshop, Presenter, January 2014
- “The 10 Minute Construction Law Drill” Panelist, Associated General Contractor’s Annual Convention, March 2013
- “Construction Defect Tenders and Related Topics,” Presenter, Arizona Insurance Claims Association, October 2012
- Arizona Coverage and Current Construction Trends,” Presenter, West Region Construction Defect and Insurance Coverage Conference, September 2011
- “Examining Emerging Construction Trends Over the Past 10 Years,” Presenter, Arizona State Bar Construction Seminar, February 2010
- “Claims Management On A Construction Project Gone Bad,” Presenter, Construction Financial Management Association, August 2008
- “Insurance and Indemnity Issues in Construction,” Presenter, Arizona Builders Alliance Legal Roundtable, May 2008
- “Reinforcing the Foundation: Emerging Issues For Construction Lawyers,” Presenter, State Bar of Arizona, February 2008
- “Indemnity Issues,” Arizona Builders’ Alliance Legal Roundtable, Presenter, June 2007
- “Latest Issues in Construction Litigation,” Presenter, Home Builders Association of Central Arizona, February 2007
- “Construction Defect Litigation: An Overview and Discussion of Insurance and Indemnity Issues in Arizona,” Presenter, Independent Insurance Agents & Brokers of Arizona’s Construction Defect Issues Seminar, October 2006
- “Indemnification and Problems Facing the Construction Industry,” Presenter, Arizona Builders’ Alliance Legal Roundtable, June 2006
- “Litigating the Multi-Party Construction Case,” Presenter, State Bar of Arizona, February 2006
- “Economic Damages In Personal Injury Cases,” Presenter, Arizona Insurance Claims Association Education Conference, June 2005
- Arizona Builders Alliance Legal Roundtable, Panelist, June 2004 & 2005
- “Expert Retention,” Speaker, Arizona Insurance Claims Association Education Conference, June 2004
- “Arizona Construction Defect Update,” Presenter, Arizona Association of Defense Counsel, Spring Retreat, April 2004
- Arizona Construction Practice Manual, Co-Author, Published by the State Bar of Arizona, 2003
- “Construction Defects and Insurance Coverage in Arizona,” Presenter, Lorman Education Services, October 2003
- “What Every Business Lawyer Should Know About Business Insurance,” Presenter, CLE By The Sea, July 2003
Southwestern University School of Law, J.D., 1993
Loyola Marymount University, M.A., English Literature, 1990
Loyola Marymount University, B.A., English Literature, 1988
California (Inactive), 1993