An accomplished trial attorney, Phil Stanfield focuses his practice on transportation defense, professional liability, product liability, and defending insured’s covered by general liability policies. Prior to pursuing a law degree, Phil worked as a chemical engineer for four years.
In 2009, Phil was inducted as a Fellow by the American College of Trial Lawyers, an organization widely considered to be the premier professional trial organization in America. He is also a member of the American Board of Trial Advocates, an organization that selects is members based on trial skills and ethics and is dedicated to the preservation and protection of the right to jury trial.
- Oscar Aguilar v. Werner Enterprises, Inc.
- Published Opinion United States District Court for the District of Arizona, 11-CV-01385 B 20
- Summary, as published in Arizona Attorney Magazine’s June 2014 Top Verdicts Issue:
Nancy Bran’s car developed a flat tire while she was driving, and she stopped in the number three travel lane of Interstate 10. She called her husband to tell him of the car problems. About 90 seconds after the car stopped, a Werner Enterprises tractor-trailer driven by Ronald Maupin collided into the stopped car, killing Bran. Bran’s parents alleged that Maupin failed to take appropriate evasive action and failed to recognize and react appropriately to the hazard. Werner Enterprises and Maupin defended that Bran created a sudden emergency and that Maupin did not see her car until it was too late. They also argued that she was negligent by stopping in a travel lane rather than moving over into the shoulder and by failing to turn on her hazard lights. They also noted that Bran’s husband put on the car an inappropriate snow tire that had a bulge.
Professional Associations & Memberships
- American Board of Trial Advocates, Member
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow
- USLAW, Board of Directors, 2015-2016; Transportation Group Chair, 2009-2010
- State Bar of Arizona, Member
- Trucking Industry Defense Association, Member
- American Trucking Association, Member
- Arizona Trucking Association, Member
- Defense Research Institute, Member
Professional Recognitions & Awards
- Listed, Southwest Super Lawyers, 2015-Present
- AV® Preeminent™ Rated on Martindale Hubbell
Presentations & Publications
Phil frequently presents on a variety of issues affecting the transportation industry and in the areas of professional liability and product liability.
Arizona State University, Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law, J.D., cum laude, 1987
Arizona Law Review, Member and Articles Editor
University of Arizona, B.S., Chemical Engineering, 1982
U.S. District Court, District of Arizona
U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit