William J. Schrank
Mr. Schrank (he prefers to be called Bill) has been with Jones, Skelton & Hochuli since 1984, and a Partner since 1991. He has been selected as one of Arizona’s Finest Lawyers and is rated AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5. His practice is devoted to defending various corporations, businesses and other entities in tort litigation. His areas of practice include defense of commercial transportation, trucking and motor coach/bus accidents; premise liability and security incidents; wrongful death torts; “Special Event” injuries; liquor and dram shop liability; and food, beverage and other product defects.
Mr. Schrank has been the sole or lead counsel in numerous jury trials over the past three decades, and has been involved in hundreds of arbitrations and mediations. He is admitted to practice in Arizona, and the U.S. District Court, District of Arizona. Mr. Schrank is an active member and director of the Trucking Industry Defense Association (TIDA), and currently serves as General Counsel for the Association. He is also a member of the Defense Research Institute and the Arizona Association of Defense Counsel.
Originally from Luverne, Minnesota, he obtained his undergraduate degree from Concordia College in Moorhead, Minnesota, and his law degree from the University of Nebraska College of Law. He graduated from law school with distinction and was bestowed the honor of Order of the Coif.
In addition to his law practice, Mr. Schrank is a guest speaker at various seminars for various organizations, and at local high schools about various legal issues. He has coached youth ice hockey for several years and is a past member of the Board of Directors for the Foothills Gymnastics Association. His other interests include travel, photography and practically every type of competitive sport.
Areas of Practice
- Franklin v. Clemett et al., "Arizona Significant Defense Verdicts of 2014," Arizona Attorney Magazine, June 2015
Professional Associations & Memberships
Trucking Industry Defense Association (Member, 1994 to present; Board of Directors, 2010 - Present; General Counsel, 2013 - Present)
Arizona Association of Defense Counsel (Member)
- Defense Research Institute (Transportation Section)
American Bar Association (Member)
State Bar of Arizona (Member)
Professional Recognitions & Awards
- Selected, Top Attorney in Insurance Law by ALM, 2014
- Listed, Arizona's Finest Lawyers
- AV® Preeminent™ Rated on Martindale Hubbell
Presentations & Publications
- Since 2014, Mr. Schrank has been the Photographer of our Firm's publication, the JSH Reporter. To view current and past issues visit jshreporter.com
- "Be Careful What You Ask For: Effective Use of Daubert and Expert Witness Challenges," Presenter, 2015 Arkansas Trucking Seminar, September 2015
- “Enhancing Your Skills: Resolving Cases Outside the Courtroom," Presenter, Arizona State Bar 2015 CLE by the Sea, July 2015
- “Taking The Bite Out Of Damages: Recoverability, Legal Defenses, and Current Trends,” Presenter, 2014 JSH Annual Seminar: It’s All Fun and Games Until Someone Gets Hurt, November 2014
- “Trends and Tactics in U.S. Litigation,” Issues in the Mine Field of Civil Litigation Involving a Commercial Motor Carrier, (2014)
- "Arizona Law: Tell Me Something I Didn’t Know" JSH Webinar, (January 2013) - Click here to view recording
- “Guarding Against the Pitfalls in U.S. Litigation,” Issues in the Mine Field of Civil Litigation Involving a Commercial Motor Carrier, (2012)
- “Ten Things You Need to Know About Arizona Law,” (2009)
- “Written Discovery With a Purpose,” (September 2008)
- “Handling Tough Deposition Questions – Preparation Prevents Perspiration,” (2007)
- Hotel Alcohol Liability Issues: “The Buck Stops Here,” (2006)
- Settlement Negotiations – Strategy and Tactics, (2004)