PartnerArizona | New Mexico
Anne Holmgren focuses her practice in claims involving alleged medical malpractice, wrongful death, medical negligence, and vicarious liability in state and federal court. She represents physicians, hospitals, clinics, nursing homes, and other healthcare professionals, including emergency medicine, critical care, orthopedic surgery, anesthesiology, pharmacology, obstetrics and gynecology, internal medicine, radiology, and nursing. In addition to these complex litigation matters, Anne regularly represents physicians and other healthcare professionals in administrative hearings before state licensing boards.
In her product liability practice, Anne represents national product manufacturers in the healthcare industry.
Before joining JSH, Anne gained legal experience at Phoenix and Albuquerque defense firms focusing in the areas of commercial litigation, healthcare, medical negligence, and general defense. She also clerked for New Mexico Supreme Court Chief Justice Petra Jimenez Maes, and served as an attorney-advisor for the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces in Washington, D.C.
Anne earned her law degree from the University of New Mexico, where she also worked as a research assistant for the Dean of the law school and as a law clerk in the Law Practice Clinic. Active in her law school community, Anne participated in an exchange program at Howard University School of Law in D.C., served as citations editor for the Natural Resource Journal, and participated in the Phi Alpha Delta National Mock Trial Competition. She also worked as a summer associate at a New Mexico commercial litigation firm, and as a legal intern with the Office of the District Attorney, Community Crimes Division in the Second Judicial District.
While earning her undergraduate degree in Criminal Justice from George Washington University, Anne studied in Santiago, Chile at the Universidad de Chile and in San Jose, Costa Rica at Corte Interamericana de Derechos Humanos. She served as Captain of her Mock Trial team, ranking 6th place in the 2006 National Gold Championship, and a “Top 10” ranking in 15 national tournaments. Anne was accepted into the Criminal Law Internship Program and worked as an intern investigator at the D.C. Public Defender Service. For four years, Anne worked as a legal intern at Gray Plant Mooty (now Lathrop GPM), the oldest continuing law practice in Minneapolis.
Anne is proficient in Spanish and enjoys tennis, cooking, and traveling when outside the firm.
- “Russ Skelton & Anne Holmgren obtain unanimous defense verdict in wrongful death case,” JSH Case Summary, August 2022
- Obtained unanimous defense verdict in a two-week long trial where Plaintiff alleged a wrongful death claim and sought $2 million in damages
- Obtained full dismissal of allegations of elder abuse in a week-long administrative for two healthcare defendants following the State’s alleged substantiation of claims
- Obtained unanimous defense verdict for seven individual physicians and a hospital in a three-week long trial where Plaintiff alleged the wrongful death of her minor child
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of a hospital client where Plaintiff alleged medical negligence against the defendant doctors and claimed the hospital was vicariously liable for any proven negligence
- Consistently obtains dismissal of Board complaints filed against healthcare providers with all licensing boards
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Arizona Society of Healthcare Attorneys (AZSHA), member, 2021
- Young Professionals of Albuquerque: Board of Directors, Civic Engagement Chair
- AADC Ladder Down Program, Graduate 2018
Civic & Community Associations
- Albuquerque Community Foundation, Future Fund Member
- Ronald McDonald House
- Habitat for Humanity
Professional Recognition & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America: Ones to Watch®, Medical Malpractice Law – Defendants, 2021-2023
- Southwest Super Lawyers, Rising Stars, 2019, 2020, 2023
- Phoenix Magazine Top Lawyers, Medical Malpractice/Defense, 2022
Presentations & Publications
- “Even a ‘Good Samaritan’ Is Not Immune: Navigating the Board Complaint Process and the Impact of COVID-19,” JSH eNewsletter, May 2020
- State Farm v. Safeco Insurance: Primary Insurers No Longer Benefit from Statutory Offsets in UIM, Third-Party Tortfeasor Cases, DEFENSE NEWS, New Mexico Defense Lawyers Association, Summer 2014
- What’s at Stake for Tribes? – The U.S. Department of Justice Office of Legal Counsel Opinion on Internet Gaming, Oversight Hearing Before the U.S. Senate Committee on Indian Affairs, 112th Cong. 2 (2012) (statement of Dean Kevin K. Washburn)
- Securing Valid Transactions of Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage in New Mexico, Gary R. Kilpatrick, J. Brent Moore & Anne I. Meyers, FEDERATION OF REGULATORY COUNSEL Q., Vol. 23, Edition 3, Fall 2011
University of New Mexico School of Law, J.D., 2012
Exchange: Howard University School of Law, Spring 2011
George Washington University, B.A., Criminal Justice, minor in Political Science, 2009
Exchange: Universidad de Chile, Fall 2007
Corte Interamericana de Derechos Humanos, Summer 2007
U.S. District Court, District of Arizona
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces