As a civil litigator, Linda focuses her practice in the areas of insurance defense, criminal defense and employment law. She represents individuals charged with various criminal offenses; bars, restaurants, retailers, amusement facilities, and trucking companies in matters involving dram shop, social host, and premises liability, as well as school districts and other organizations with employment issues.
Premises and Dram Shop/Social Host Liability.Committed to representing small businesses, Linda is experienced defending amusement and recreation facilities, and eating and drinking establishments, including locally-owned restaurants and trampoline jump parks.
Civil Litigation and Insurance Defense. Linda is experienced representing clients in federal and state courts, serving as counsel for corporations, institutions and individuals.
Criminal Defense.Prior to joining the firm, Linda worked for the Maricopa County Public Defender’s Office for six years where she tried more than 35 jury trials, defending clients charged with all types of major non-capital felony offenses. Since joining the firm, she has continued to represents individuals facing felony and misdemeanor criminal allegations, criminal and civil traffic violations, obtain and defend protective orders and injunctions against harassment for both individuals and workplaces, and counsel clients in both criminal and civil settlement conferences.
Employment Law.Linda defends entities in matters involving claims of wrongful discharge and all manner of discrimination claims, including age, gender and disability discrimination. She has also assisted school districts with personnel matters and prepared responses to Requests for Information and Position Statements on behalf of various employers in response to charges filed with the EEOC.
Transportation & Trucking. Linda is part of firm’s Rapid Response Team, a dedicated group of attorneys, experts and specialists who are on-call to provide counsel and guidance to clients when trucking or other transportation-related accidents occur. She also represents truck drivers facing citations during accidents and truck-pedestrian injury cases.
Outside of the Firm. Linda is an active member of her high school and college alumni associations, Phillips Exeter Academy and Yale University, and volunteers her time to conduct interviews for prospective students. She is also the immediate past-President of the Yale Club of Phoenix and has been on the Board since 2012. A sports and exercise enthusiast, Linda has completed 10 marathons and multiple half marathons and trail races, including the Boston Marathon, and several triathlons, including six Ironman distance triathlons. She enjoys long-distance and trail running, swimming, snow skiing, golfing, and supporting her law school alma mater, the University of Kansas Jayhawks basketball team. When not working or training for her next race, Linda relaxes with her dog Bogey.
Linda is also fluent in Thai.
Examples of Linda’s Premises and Dram Shop/Social Host Liability experience include:
- Settled seven-figure dram shop case in favor of client for less than half the original demand in wrongful death suit against local bar/restaurant.
- Settled six-figure dram shop/negligent security case in favor of client, a Mesa sports bar, for a small fraction of the original demand.
- Defended popular north Phoenix biker bar in two separate dram shop claims. Both cases settled for less than half of the original demands. Both cases – one involving personal injury and the second involving wrongful death – settled for less than half of the original demand.
- Settled personal injury case in favor of client, a trampoline park , in a case involving alleging unsafe conditions, resulting in moderate injury to patron.
Examples of Linda’s Criminal Defense experience include:
- Represented client charged with multiple felony counts in a case involving aggravated assault and weapons charges, obtaining a significantly-reduced sentence of probation instead of prison time.
- Obtained probation with no jail time for a client charged with more than 10 felony counts, including weapons, drugs and money laundering charges.
- Obtained probation for a client charged with multiple sex crimes which, if found guilty, would require significant prison time.
Examples of Linda’s Truck & Tractor experience include:
- Settled case for less than one-third of demand in case involving personal injury of a motorcyclist who swerved to avoid hitting a truck and injured himself.
- Settled case involving truck-vehicle accident on behalf of transportation client for half of demand.
Professional Associations & Memberships
- State Bar of Arizona
- Arizona Women Lawyers Association
- Arizona Association of Defense Counsel
- Phillips Exeter Academy Alumni Association, Alumni Interviewer, 2010 – present
- Yale University Alumni Association, Alumni Interviewer, 2008 – present; Yale Day of Service Volunteer and Organizer
- National Moot Court Competition, Attorney Advisor, 2013; Volunteer Judge, 2011
Presentations & Publications
- “Getting to the Sobering Truth of a Dram Shop Claim in Arizona,” Co-Author, JSH Reporter, Fall 2017
- “Taking the Bite Out of Damages: Recoverability, Legal Defenses, and Current Trends,” Presenter, JSH Annual Seminar: It’s All Fun and Games Until Someone Gets Hurt, November 2014
University of Kansas School of Law, J.D., 2006
Yale University, History, B.A., 2002
U.S. District Court, District of Arizona, 2006