For more than 10 years, Matt has defended clients against claims involving civil and tort litigation, including construction defect, premises liability, product liability, wrongful death and personal injury, commercial and contract disputes, as well as professional liability including agent, and director and officer liability. He has litigated high-exposure cases and handled complex legal issues. With significant litigation experience, Matt is well-equipped to provide early conflict resolution strategies to best serve his clients. Throughout his career, Matt has represented Fortune 500 companies, and has litigated in Arizona, California, Nevada and Ohio, and is also admitted to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
During law school at Pepperdine, Matt worked as a judicial clerk for the Honorable Oswald Parada in the U.S. District Court, Central District of California, and was chosen for an exchange internship at ProCapital Investments in London, England. He also externed at the California Department of Corporations in the Securities Enforcement Division.
In his free time, Matt enjoys spending time with his wife and daughter.
- Recovered 6-Figure Attorneys’ Fees Award in Trademark Dispute
- Prevailed on summary judgment in an abuse of process case on behalf of national office supply company involving employment law and trade secret disputes.
- Assisted at trial in representing a behavioral health facility in a wrongful death case arising from patient suicide.
- Obtained dismissal in a franchisee fraud lawsuit, and a six-figure judgment for the client – an urban micro-winery franchisor – in a counterclaim asserted against the franchisee.
- Prevailed on summary judgment and obtained a complete indemnity award for a high-end sushi restaurant in Los Angeles in a high-exposure injury case.
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Hispanic National Bar Association (HNBA), Member
- Defense Research Institute (DRI), Commercial Litigation Group Steering Committee, Member; Products Liability Committee, Member
- Claims Litigation Management (CLM), Member
- Los Abogados, Arizona’s Hispanic Bar Association, Member
- National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel (NARTC), Former Member
Presentations & Publications
- “Construction Law,” Co-Author, USLAW NETWORK Compendia update, May 2021
- “It Was Billed, But Is It Reasonable? Defense Strategies to Challenge the Reasonableness of Incurred Medical Bills in Arizona,” USLAW Network’s Magazine, Spring 2021
Pepperdine University School of Law, J.D., 2008
California State University, Fresno, B.S., Psychology, 2004
U.S. District Court, District of Arizona
U.S. District Court, Central District of California
U.S. District Court, District of Nevada
Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals