For four years, Petra served as a Judicial Law Clerk for the Honorable James P. Beene at the Arizona Supreme Court, and for the Honorable Paul J. McMurdie, Patricia A. Orozco and Donn Kessler at the Arizona Court of Appeals, Division One. At the courts and in private practice, she gained significant civil and appellate experience, particularly in matters involving business law and litigation in state and federal courts, criminal, family and juvenile law appeals, appeals by special action, and appeals from administrative law judges’ decisions at the Industrial Commission of Arizona.
As an associate in the firm’s Appellate Department, Petra works closely with JSH trial attorneys to assist with critical motions, and provides guidance from the pleading stage through the trial and post-trial stages. Petra’s practice includes governmental liability, medical and legal malpractice, employment law, civil rights, insurance defense and bad faith, product liability, school law, and construction defect.
While earning her law degree at the University of Arizona James E. Rogers College of Law, she served as the committee chair for the International Law Society and the exchequer for the International Legal Fraternity of Phi Delta Phi. Petra received her J.D. Certificate in International Trade and Business Law, and participated in the Morris K. Udall Inn of Court. In addition, she was awarded the Joan M. Ruhtenberg Scholarship for Achievement in Life and Legal Writing, and earned the Pima County Bar Association Award as Outstanding Student Volunteer of the Month. Petra also worked as a legal extern with the Honorable Frank R. Zapata, Senior U.S. District Judge for the District of Arizona in Tucson.
Originally from the Czech Republic, Petra earned a full scholarship from Masaryk University and graduated with a B.S. in Political Science and Psychology. Before attending Masaryk, Petra earned her B.A. in English from Warwickshire College in the U.K.
Outside the firm, Petra enjoys spending time with her children, playing sports, and traveling.
Professional Associations & Memberships
- State Bar of Arizona, Member
- Maricopa County Bar Association, Member
- Arizona Women Lawyers Association, Member
Civic & Community Associations
- Prague-Phoenix Sister Cities Committee, Vice President, 2019-20, Secretary, 2018-19
- Desert Vista High School, Volunteer Classroom Presenter (the Court of Appeal’s Connecting with the Community program), November 2018
- Sun Devil Mock Trial Competition, Judge, February 2018
- State Bar of Arizona, The Modest Means Project, Attorney, May 2015 – April 2016
- University of Arizona, Career and Professional Development Office, Partners in Practice Project, Interviewer, 2009-11
- Pima County Bar Association, Volunteer Lawyers Program, Bankruptcy Re-Affirmation Clinic, Amicus Curiae, Fall 2009
- Pima County Bar Association, Volunteer Lawyers Program, Self Service Centre Pilot Project, Fall 2009
- Tempe Montessori School, Music Tutor, 2017-18
Professional Recognition & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America: Ones to Watch®, Appellate Practice, 2021
Presentations & Publications
- “The Application of Physical Force to the Body of a Person with Intent to Restrain Is a Seizure Even if the Person Does Not Submit and Is Not Subdued,” JSH Law Alert, March 2021
- Petra L. Emerson, An Economic Integration Agreement on Services: A Possible Solution to the Doha Development Round Impasse, 2 TRADE L. & DEV. 252 (2010).
University of Arizona James E. Rogers College of Law, J.D., 2010
Dean’s List 2010
J.D. Certificate in International Trade and Business Law
Morris K. Udall Inn of Court (2009-10)
Joan M. Ruhtenberg Scholarship for Achievement in Life and Legal Writing
Pima County Bar Association, Outstanding Student Volunteer of the Month Award
International Law Society, Committee Chair (organized “Globalization Debate” with Jim Kolbe)
International Legal Fraternity of Phi Delta Phi, Exchequer
Masaryk University, Czech Republic, B.S., Political Science and Psychology, 2004
Warwickshire College, United Kingdom, Cambridge First Certificate in English, 2001
U.S. District Court, District of Arizona, 2010
U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia, 2012