Don Myles focuses his practice on defending clients in cases involving catastrophic injury and wrongful death claims, bad faith and extra-contractual liability, professional liability, and insurance coverage and fraud. He is the 2018-2019 President of the Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel (FDCC), and a Past-President of USLAW Network and the Arizona Association of Defense Counsel (AADC). Don is also a Fellow of the International Academy of Trial Lawyers (IATL), a member of the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA) since 1996, and a Fellow of the American College of Coverage and Extracontractual Counsel.
- Twin City Fire Ins. Co. v. Leija, 244 Ariz. 493 (Ariz. 2018) (claimants who settle third-party claims are not entitled to post-settlement trials to determine percentage of employer fault solely to reduce or extinguish a workers’ compensation carrier’s lien).
Fernandez v. City of Phoenix – A motion for summary judgment was granted in favor of the City of Phoenix invalidating a stipulated judgment against the City for $8.5 million in a Morris-type of agreement.
- Redmond v. Mid Century, et al. – A motion for summary judgment was successfully granted invalidating a $3.3 million stipulated judgment against Mid Century’s $100,000 auto policy limit.
- Empire Talent & Modeling v. Auto-Owners Insurance Company – A motion for summary judgment was granted in favor of Auto-Owners invalidating a stipulated judgment against Auto-Owners for breaching the insurance contract by not paying the policy limit of $100,000 for lost media and talent portfolios.
- Barbara Sloan v. Farmers Insurance Company of Arizona, Farmers Insurance Exchange, and Farmers Group – Obtained a defense verdict in a bad faith and punitive damage case on behalf of a national insurer.
- Lobbyist Arizona State Legislature, 2001-2008
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel (FDCC), President 2018-2019
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers (IATL), Fellow, 2014
- Lawyers for Civil Justice, Board of Directors, 2017-Present
- American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA), Advocate Rank, 1996-Present
- Arizona Association of Defense Counsel (AADC), President, 2004-2005
- American College of Coverage Counsel (ACCC), Fellow, 2017-Present
- DRI, Board of Directors, 2018-2019
- Association of Defense Trial Attorneys (ADTA), Member, 2013
- USLAW Network, President, 2004-2005
Professional Recognitions & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America® “Lawyer of the Year,” Insurance Law in Arizona, 2016 & 2018
- Best Lawyers in America®, Insurance Law, 2012-2019
- Top 100 Lawyers in Arizona, Az Business Magazine, 2018
- Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel Olshan Award, 2013
- Southwest Super Lawyers, 2012-Present
Presentations & Publications
- “Advanced Fire Science: Applying the Scientific Method to Scene and Evidence Investigations,” Co-Presenter, Fighting Fire With Fire Workshop, June 2016
- “Bad Faith Defense Themes,” Author, JSH Reporter, Page 30, Summer 2016
- “Top 10 Ways To Commit Bad Faith,” Author, JSH Reporter, Summer 2015
- “Best Practices to Avoid Extra Contractual Exposure,” Co-Presenter, Central Claim Executives Association, May 2015
- “Litigation Management – Defense Counsel’s Challenges in Complying with Carrier Guidelines The Best Interest of the Insured-Client,” Presenter, 2015 CLM Annual Conference, March 2015
- “The Relationship Between the Fire Investigation, Fire Department and the Legal Community,” Co-Presenter, DRI Fire and Science Litigation Seminar, November 2014
- “Anatomy of a Real-Life Arson Defense Litigation,” Co-Presenter, PLRB Large Loss Conference, October 2014
- “Sports Law Panel: What is the Law of Sport?” Moderator, FDCC 11th Annual Corporate Counsel Symposium, September 2014
- Barbara Sloan v. Farmers Insurance Company of Arizona, Farmers Insurance Exchange, and Farmers Group, “Arizona Significant Defense Verdict of 2012,” Arizona Attorney Magazine, June 2013
- Empire Talent & Modeling v. Auto-Owners Insurance Company, “Don Myles and Patrick Gorman Receive Defense Verdict in Bad Faith Case,” The Arizona Association of Defense Counsel Magazine, Spring 2014
- “Avoiding Bad Faith Set Ups,” Co-Presenter, 2013 PLRB Claims Conference, March 2013
- “Punitive Damages and Social Media Transformation Litigation,” Content Contributor, com, July 2012
- “How Bad Faith is Being Set Up Today,” Presenter, DRI Insurance Coverage and Practice Symposium, November 2010
- “Masters in Trial,” American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA), Presenter, November 2010
- “Workers’ Compensation and the Duty of Good Faith and Fair Dealing to the Employer and Employee: An Inherent Conflict,” Co-Author, FDCC Quarterly/Summer 2009
Southwestern University, J.D., 1982 Dean’s Honor List 1979-1982
California Lutheran University, B.A., Political Science, cum laude, 1979
All-American Javelin Thrower
Arizona State and Federal Courts
Ninth and Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals
United States Supreme Court