Michele Molinario co-presented “First Amendment Issues in Law Enforcement” for the Arizona Municipal Risk Retention Pool (AMRRP) and Arizona Counties Insurance Pool (ACIP) on August 14. This four-hour session prepared municipal risk professionals and their organizations to identify and handle First Amendment issues properly.
Most constitutional training focuses on the Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Eighth and Fourteenth Amendments. Many law enforcement agencies forget, or do not know, the potential liability associated with violations of First Amendment rights by policing agencies, agency heads, and their officers and deputies.
This presentation is aimed at preparing you for when that time comes (and it will) when you or one of your employees face a First Amendment issue, including:
- Identifying and avoiding First Amendment retaliation;
- Handling media “First Amendment Audits” and right to film issues;
- Negotiating pitfalls associated with prior restraints on speech;
- First Amendment issues arising from public protester activities; and
- First Amendment rights for law enforcement employees and contractors.
Michele has dedicated her professional career to defending public entities and their employees, including police officers, detention officers, and emergency responders. Michele has litigated numerous government cases in federal court and is a regular speaker on police liability matters, including constitutional liability.