Ed Hochuli is a founding partner of Jones, Skelton & Hochuli and now serves as Of Counsel. Throughout his 30+ year legal career, Ed was a dedicated trial attorney, trying more than 150 civil jury trials to verdict. He defended clients in matters involving dram shop and social host liability, retail defense, transportation defense, and general liability.
From 1990-2018, Ed worked as an official in the National Football League. For the past 26 seasons, Ed has served as Crew Chief (Referee), reporting calls weekly during the NFL’s regular season and post-season playoff games, including in two Super Bowls. Ed has played football since youth, including on his Tucson-area high school’s team and at UTEP where he earned his undergraduate degree. While at UTEP, Ed earned All-Western Athletic Conference academic honors.
Drawing on his unique experience working with athletes and other athletic professionals, and making split-second calls in front of 1-million+ viewers each week, Ed has presented to clients and organizations across the country on teamwork, negotiations, perspective and crisis management.
Obtained defense verdict saving client $3.75 million after two hours of jury deliberation. Defendants were contracted to erect and install steel staircases. Plaintiff was employed to install furnaces and air conditioning units including necessary ductwork. Plaintiff alleged to have fallen down the staircase due to dangerous worksite conditions and removal of safety railings. Defendants denied liability due to Plaintiff being an experienced construction worker and could not prove that he had not simply fallen down the stairs. Read the full case summary here.
Court remits jury verdict saving client $675,000. Plaintiff was injured after Defendant’s driver ran a red light and collided with another vehicle. Prior to trial, Defendants admitted fault for the accident. The extent of Plaintiff’s damages was nevertheless contested. After the verdict, Defendants filed a Motion for New Trial and the Judge agreed that the verdict was excessive and not supported by the evidence. Read the full case summary here.
Professional Associations & Memberships
- American Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- Arizona Association of Defense Counsel, Member
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel, Member
- American Trucking Association, Member
- American Board of Trial Advocates, Past Diplomate
- Trucking Industry Defense Association, Board of Directors, 2001-2010
- USLAW Network, Board of Directors, 2007-Present
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance, Member
- International Association of Defense Counsel, Member
Civic & Community Associations
- March of Dimes, 1980-1990
- National Football League, Referee, #85, 1990-2018
Professional Recognition & Awards
- Listed, Best Lawyers in America®, Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants, 2003-Present
- Listed, Southwest Super Lawyers®, 2007-2018
- Listed Top 100 Lawyers in Arizona, Arizona Business Magazine, 2015
- AV® Preeminent™ Rated on Martindale Hubbell
Presentations & Publications
Drawing on his unique experience working with athletes and other athletic professionals, and making split-second calls in front of 1-million+ viewers each week, Ed travels the country presenting to clients and organizations on teamwork, negotiations, perspective and managing a crisis.
His media mentions and cover stories include:
- “Oh, Now You Love Us” and “American Zebra,” Cover and Feature Article, respectively, Sports Illustrated, October 8, 2012
- “Ed Hochuli Unplugged: His Life Outside the Stripes and Food Vice,” Sports Illustrated, October 3, 2012
- Attorney of the Month Feature Story, Arizona Attorney Magazine, May 2010
- “Zebra Lawyer,” Southwest Super Lawyers Magazine, 2007
- “30 Seconds with Ed Hochuli,” The New York Times, April 22, 2007
- “Six Days to Sunday with Ed Hochuli,” NFL Network, Week 12 of 2005 Season
- “Ed Hochuli: On Balance,” Referee Magazine, September 2004
- Appears in EA Sports’ Madden NFL 06-Current, and on the cover of Madden NFL 12 video games
University of Arizona, James E. Rogers College of Law, J.D., with Distinction, 1976
University of Texas at El Paso, B.A., with Honors, 1969-1972
U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit, 1981
U.S. District Court, District of Arizona, 1977