Fernando C. Palomares defends clients in the transportation and professional services industries in litigation including wrongful death claims. He joins JSH with 10 years of legal experience, primarily in civil defense, representing clients in New Mexico, including school districts and governmental entities in civil rights and tort matters. He is a member of the firm’s Transportation & Trucking Rapid Response Team, a dedicated group of experienced attorneys who are on-call to provide counsel and guidance when a trucking or transportation-related accident occurs.
Fernando also gained in-house legal experience as an Assistant County Attorney for Doña Ana County in Las Cruces and Assistant General Counsel at the New Mexico Public Education Department.
Prior to law school, Fernando worked as a corporate accountant handling the consolidation of fixed asset accounts.
In his free time, Fernando spends time with his wife and daughter, staying active studying Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and he enjoys CrossFit workouts. Fernando also enjoys his role as the lead guitarist in his wife’s band.
- Obtained dismissal on a motion to dismiss a plaintiff’s punitive damages claim against a charter school in a wrongful death action.
- Obtained dismissal on a motion for summary judgment on a plaintiff’s overtime claim against a school district, wherein remaining employment contract and whistleblower protection claims were resolved.
- Represented public schools in actions arising from student bullying wherein plaintiffs argued waiver of immunity under the New Mexico Tort Claims Act.
Professional Associations & Memberships
- State Bar of New Mexico
- New Mexico Defense Lawyers Association
- New Mexico Hispanic Bar Association
University of New Mexico School of Law, J.D., 2011
New Mexico State University, B.S., Bachelor of Accountancy, 2005
New Mexico, 2011
United States District Court, New Mexico, 2012
United States Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit, 2012