Jeff Collins dedicates his practice to representing insurance carriers in coverage-related issues. He helps clients with policy interpretation in the first- and third-party contexts and litigation in various lines of insurance, including commercial, professional, and personal. In addition, Jeff has extensive experience representing insurance carriers in litigation involving all types of insurance-related disputes, such as actions for declaratory judgment, breach of contract and insurance bad faith.
Finally, Jeff represents numerous retailers and other premises owners in premises liability matters, and represents manufacturers and sellers in product liability matters.
- Twin City Fire Ins. Co. v. Leija, 244 Ariz. 493 (Ariz. 2018) (claimants who settle third-party claims are not entitled to post-settlement trials to determine percentage of employer fault solely to reduce or extinguish a workers’ compensation carrier’s lien). Read the full case summary.
- Grovers v. Allied Insurance and AMCO Insurance, February 2015. (prevailed by summary judgment in a declaratory judgment/coverage litigation involving the choice of law (Minnesota or Arizona) and the stacking of uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage (UM/UIM) under Minnesota law (the law the Court held applied to the case).) Read the full case summary here.
Professional Associations & Memberships
- American Bar Association
- Arizona Association of Defense Counsel
Professional Recognition & Awards
- Listed, Best Lawyers in America®, Litigation – Insurance and Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants, 2019-2020
- Peer-Review Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Martindale-Hubbell
Presentations & Publications
- “‘An’ versus ‘Any’: When One Word Makes a Profound Difference in an Insurance Contract,” Author, The JSH Reporter, Fall 2018
- “How to Avoid the Hot Seat: Good Claims Handling in Arizona,” Presenter, JSH Annual Seminar: It’s All Fun and Games Until Someone Gets Hurt, November 2014
- “The Arizona Supreme Court Considers the Preclusive Effect of Damron Agreement Stipulations on Subsequent Coverage Disputes,” Author, Record Reporter, July 2014
- “Equal Consideration Does Not Require Overpayment,” Author, JSH Reporter, Summer 2014
University of Arizona, James E. Rogers College of Law, J.D., cum laude, 1995
University of San Diego, B.B.A., Finance, 1990