John Masterson represents governmental entities in issues involving civil rights law, government and constitutional law, police defense, prison matters, insurance defense, wrongful death and personal injury law, general civil litigation and appeals.
- Jamien Rae Jensen, et al., v. EXC Incorporated, et al.
- Gomez v. JRB Attachments, et al.
- Yolanda Erickson v. City of Phoenix, et al.
- Manuel de Jesus Ortega Melendres, et al v. Joseph M. Arpaio, et al
- Cleo Daily, et al., v. City of Phoenix, et al.
- United States of America v. Maricopa County, et al
- Gotbaum v. City of Phoenix, et al.
- Boyd v. Allied Van Lines, Inc, et. al
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Ninth Circuit Judicial Conference, Lawyer Representative, 2006-2009
- American Board of Trial Advocates, Associate
- Defense Research Institute, Member
- Arizona Association of Defense Counsel, Member
- Federal Bar Association, Member
- State Bar of Arizona, Section on Litigation, Member
Professional Recognition & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America®,Personal Injury Litigation—Defendants, 2003-2020
- Southwest Super Lawyers, 2007
- AV® Preeminent™ Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
Presentations & Publications
- “Section 1983 Claims: Judgment Call or Judgment Day?,” Co-Presenter, AADC Monthly Advocacy Luncheon, February 2020
- “2018 Changes in the Civil Procedure Rules: Practical Effects of the Changes,” Co-Author, The JSH Reporter, Spring 2018
- “Anatomy of a Lawsuit,” Co-Presenter, 2016 PRIMA Summer Education Series, July 2016
- “A.R.S. 12-821.01, Anything New Under the Sun?,” Co-Presenter, Current Issues in Governmental Liability Seminar, November 2015
- “2015 Case Law Update,” Presenter, 2015 PRIMA Summer Education Series, July 2015
- “Taking the Bite Out of Damages: Recoverability, Legal Defenses and Current Trends,” Presenter, JSH Annual Seminar: It’s All Fun and Games Until Someone Gets Hurt, November 2014
- “You Think You Know What Juries Are Thinking? Think Again,” Presenter, 2014 JSH Annual Seminar: Current Issues in Governmental Liability, November 2014
- “Early Claims Investigation and Evaluation,” Presenter, JSH Seminar, October 2013
- “1983 Claims: Judgment Call or Judgment Day?” Co-Presenter, Arizona Public Risk Association’s Summer Educational Series, Flagstaff, September 2013
- “1983 Claims: Judgment Call or Judgment Day,” Co-Presenter, Arizona Counties Insurance Pool’s 16th Annual Public Practice Legal Seminar, Prescott, May 2013
- “Excessive Force: Judgment Call or Judgment Day,” Co-Presenter, JSH Current Issues in Government Liability Seminar, November 2012
- “Notice of Claims and Other Hot Topics,” Presenter, Arizona Counties Insurance Pool and the Arizona Civil Attorneys Legal Seminar, May 2012
University of Arizona, James E. Rogers College of Law, J.D., 1981
Arizona State University, B.S., with distinction, 1977
Arizona State University, B.S., 1976
U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit, 1982
U.S. District Court, District of Arizona, 1982
U.S. Supreme Court, 1996