Kristin W. Basha
Kristin Basha is an attorney in our Medical Malpractice Trial Group.
Before joining JSH, Kristin gained significant defense experience at Valley law firms where she handled matters involving medical malpractice defense, ski litigation, insurance defense, wrongful death and personal injury, premises liability, and professional liability. Throughout her 14-year career, Kristin has developed strong bonds with her clients. Kristin understands how personal litigation is for her clients and immediately empowers them to defend themselves where warranted.
She has defended professional liability claims involving the Arizona State Board of Nursing and the Arizona Board of Chiropractic Examiners. Kristin has also guided healthcare companies and providers through every aspect of malpractice litigation, from the investigation of claims to settlement negotiations to trials. Her experience includes defending and prosecuting complex medical malpractice claims and wrongful death claims involving healthcare providers, healthcare practitioners, urgent care facilities, pharmacies and prisons.
Kristin has also represented businesses and business owners in an array of commercial litigation, including restructuring business entities and negotiating settlements between former employers. In her insurance defense practice, she has overseen complex liability claims on behalf of excess insurance, and effectively and efficiently defended premises liability cases, including dismissals on motions for summary judgment.
During law school, Kristin worked as an extern for the Honorable Redfield T. Baum (then Chief Justice) in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court. She also participated in the Volunteer Lawyers Program, providing free legal assistance to low-income Arizonans.
Kristin’s greatest joy in life is being a mother to her three amazing children. When she is not working, she is going on adventures with her family such as hiking or skiing. She loves to run, read, cook, listen to jazz music, watch movies, and travel. She escapes to the beach as much as she possibly can!
In light of one of her son’s having a congenital heart defect that required open-heart surgery at a mere 10 days old (which he survived and is thriving from), Kristin and her husband pay it forward by fundraising for the cardiovascular unit at Arizona Phoenix Children’s Hospital during Christmastime.
Kristin believes in the kind of leadership that lives by example and has a healthy appetite for competition from her former soccer years in the Bay Area.
MEDICAL MALPRACTICE AND RELATED MATTERS
- Successfully represented clients in state and federal court and worked to identify and minimize associated risks and exposure.
- Originated and worked-up complex medical malpractice case resulting in an excellent result for the client and the firm.
- Strategized case which resulted in the admissibility of collateral source—the client’s desired result.
- Developed expert testimony to overcome bad underlying facts in a wrongful death case against a nurse practitioner.
- National company thrilled with mediation result. Developed strong evidence to refute plaintiff’s position and used plaintiff’s strongest position against them, resulting in a low figure settlement in spite of seven figure demand and multiple plaintiffs.
- Dismissal on Motion for Summary Judgment in 42 U.S.C. section 1983 claim.
- Negotiated consent agreements between my clients and the Arizona Board of Nursing and Arizona Board of Chiropractic.
PREMISES LIABILITY AND RELATED MATTERS
- Dismissal on Motion for Summary Judgement in a slip-and-fall matter wherein plaintiff argued the mode-of-operation rule.
COMMERCIAL LITIGATION AND RELATED MATTERS
- Analyzed contracts and negotiated settlement between employer and former employee in matter concerning non-compete clause.
- Restructured corporation to a limited liability company, prepared proper documentation and worked with partners to update lease agreement.
- Represented individual in a complex commercial litigation case wherein multiple persons and a bank were pursuing client for over $600,000 in personal guarantees.
Professional Associations & Memberships
- American Health Lawyers Association, Member
- Arizona Women Lawyers Association
- USLAW Women’s Connection Group
Professional Recognition & Awards
- Southwest Super Lawyers® Rising Stars, 2014-Present
- 10 Best Under 40 Attorney, Personal Injury Selection for Arizona, 2017 and 2018
Presentations & Publications
- “A Paralegal’s Guide to Pleadings, Motions, Discovery Requests and Briefs,” Presenter, National Business Institute, 2015
- “Does George Costanza Really Need His Own Bathroom? Reasonable Accommodations Under the Americans with
Disabilities Act,” Arizona Society for Human Resource Management Law & Legislative Conference, February 2015
- “A Paralegal’s Guide to Pleadings, Motions, Discovery Requests and Briefs,” Co-Author, 2015
- “What Questions Should Human Resource Professionals Be Asking?,” Co-Author, 2007
- “Construction and Bankruptcy,” Co-Author, May 2009
Arizona State University, Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law, J.D., 2007
Santa Clara University, B.A., Philosophy, cum laude, 2003
U.S. District Court, District of Arizona, 2008
Supreme Court of Arizona