Patrick Gorman concentrates his practice in the areas of bad faith and extra-contractual liability, insurance coverage, professional liability and other general civil litigation matters. In his practice, he represents large insurers in bad faith and breach of contract claims, often with allegations of punitive damages, through all phases of litigation in state and federal court. Patrick also represents attorneys, insurance brokers, and accountants in professional malpractice claims.
Prior to joining the firm, Patrick served as a law clerk for a United States Senator on the Judiciary Committee, legal extern for the Honorable Paul G. Rosenblatt at the United States District Court for the District of Arizona, and law clerk for the Goodhue County Attorney’s Office in Red Wing, Minnesota.
- Lakridis V. Holly Udy-Meekin, et al. – Arizona Court of Appeals affirms trial court’s dismissal for JSH clients in personal injury case.
- Empire Talent & Modeling v. Auto-Owners Insurance Company – Obtained summary judgment on bad faith claim and punitive damages, and received a unanimous jury verdict in favor of client on breach of contract “reasonable expectations” claim for insurer arising out of the denial of the alleged loss of talent portfolios stored on multimedia.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of commercial insurer on punitive damage and breach of contract claims arising out of a large water loss at a dental office.
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Defense Research Institute, Young Lawyers Steering Committee
- Annual Seminar Committee, Vice Chair, 2017-2017
- Marketing Committee, Chair and Vice-Chair, 2015-2017
- Social Media Committee, Chair and Vice-Chair, 2013-2015
- Legislative Liaison, 2012-2013
- Arizona Association of Defense Counsel, Member
Civic & Community Associations
- Papago Men’s Golf Club Association, Board Member and Tournament Committee Chair, 2014-2016
Presentations & Publications
- “Arizona’s Revised Statute for Sexual Assault Claims,” Author, JSH Legal Update, December 2020
- “Maricopa County Superior Court Announces Certified Arbitrator Program in Response to COVID-19,” Author, JSH Legal Update, July 2020
- “The ‘Advice of Counsel Defense’ in Coverage Cases: You Might Be Waiving More Than You Realize,” Author, JSH Legal Update, June 2020
- “Siri, Please Connect Me to the Courtroom – The Future of Civil Trials in Maricopa County Superior Court,” Author, JSH Legal Update, April 2020
- “COVID-19: The First and Third Party Claims are on the Way,” Author, JSH Legal Update, April 2020
- “Employee Dishonesty: Navigating the Unknown,” Co-Presenter, PLRB Claims Conference & Insurance Service Expo, April 2018
- “Finance: Making Sense of the Numbers,” Co-Presenter, DRI Young Lawyers Seminar 2017
- “Contingent Business Interruption Losses: Top Priorities,” Co-Presenter, PLRB Claims Conference, March 2017
- “Ethical Issues For Insurance Adjusters,” Co-Presenter, Rimkus’ 6th Annual Arizona CE Seminar, September 2016
- “Nevada Adopts Cumis Counsel Requirement – Who’s Next?,” Author, Defense Research Institute’s The Whisper, December 2015
- “Social Media Research After Voir Dire – The Jodi Arias Case,” Author, Defense Research Institute’s The Whisper, June 2015
- “Social Media Subcommittee: Employer’s Access to Social Media and Personal Information,” Author, Defense Research Institute’s The Whisper, December 2014
- “Social Media: Using Social Media During Voir Dire,” Author, Defense Research Institute’s The Whisper, February 2014
- “Reservation of Rights,” Co-Author, Arizona DRI Compendium, 2013
- “How To Avoid The Hot Seat: Good Claims Handling In Arizona,” Presenter, JSH Annual Seminar: It’s All Fun and Games Until Someone Gets Hurt, November 2014
- “Rapid Fire Drill – AZ Case Law Updates,” Presenter, JSH Seminar, October 2013
- “The Leaves are Full of Colors: Don’t Get Black and Blue Over Bad Faith Setups,” Co-Author, DRI Insurance Practice Symposium, 2010
Arizona State University, Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2011
William H. Pedrick Scholar Order of Barristers Editor, Jurimetrics
The ABA Journal of Law, Science, and Technology Executive Moot Court Board Champion
AADC Oplinger Closing Argument Competition
Arizona State University, B.A., Geography , summa cum laude, 2008, B.A., Political Science, summa cum laude, 2008
Phi Beta Kappa Ray Henkel Scholarship Award
United States District Court of Arizona, 2011