Bill Caravetta concentrates his practice on both national and statewide bad faith class action litigation, bad faith litigation, insurance coverage disputes and opinions, and complex civil litigation. He has extensive experience in advising corporate risk managers on insurance coverage issues, indemnity agreements and risk transfer options through commercial contracts. He also has significant appellate experience and has argued appeals before the Arizona Court of Appeals, the Arizona Supreme Court and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
Bill is fluent in Spanish, Italian and French.
- Gonzalez v. Nguyen, CV-17-0117-PR, 2018 WL 1750505 (Ariz. April 12, 2018) (argued) (reversing and vacating adverse Arizona Court of Appeals memorandum decision, affirming trial court’s decision to vacate $667,000 default judgment, and clarifying meritorious defense standard applicable to default judgments under Ariz.R.Civ.P. 60(c)(6)).
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Arizona Association of Defense Counsel
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance
Professional Recognition & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America®, Insurance Law and Litigation – Insurance, 2021
- AV® Preeminent™ Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
Presentations & Publications
- “Everest Indemnity Insurance Company v. Rea Rejects Implied Waiver of the Attorney-Client Privilege,” author, JSH Reporter, p. 14, Summer 2016
- “Dart Cherokee: Shifting the Burden to Plaintiff in Federal Diversity Cases,” Author, JSH Reporter, p. 4, Summer 2016
- “Everest Indemnity Insurance Company v. Rea Rejects Implied Waiver of the Attorney-Client Privilege,” Author, Record Reporter, June 2015
- “How to Avoid the Hot Seat: Good Claims-Handling in Arizona,” Presenter, JSH Annual Seminar: It’s All Fun and Games Until Someone Gets Hurt, November 2014
- “The Implied Waiver of the Attorney-Client Privilege Under State Farm v. Lee: A Refresher Course,” Author, JSH Reporter, Fall 2014
- “Recent Developments in Court Decisions on E-discovery Issues,” Author, JSH Reporter, Summer 2014
- “Recent Developments in Court Decisions on E-Discovery Issues,” Author, Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel, June 2014
- “Problems with Insuring Teens on Their Own Auto Policies,” Presenter, Independent Insurance Agents and Brokers of Arizona’s Annual Convention, August 2009
- “Family Purpose Doctrine and Other Auto Issues,” Presenter, Independent Insurance Agents and Brokers of Arizona, March 2009
University of Arizona, James E. Rogers College of Law, J.D., 1989
Arizona State University, B.S., Justice Studies, cum laude, 1986
U.S. District Court, District of Arizona
U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit