Justin Ackerman represents clients in federal and state appellate matters in cases involving excessive force, wrongful death, personal injury, bad faith, and premises liability. After graduating as the valedictorian of his class from Phoenix School of Law, Justin worked as a law clerk for the Hon. Michael J. Brown in Division One of the Arizona Court of Appeals. Justin has successfully represented clients and argued before the Arizona Court of Appeals, Arizona Supreme Court, and Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
During his free time, Justin trains in Krav Maga, the official self-defense of the Israeli Defense Forces, at his family-owned business. He also enjoys going to the movies with his wife and spending time with his young daughter.
- Ingram v. RTW, Inc., 729 Fed. Appx. 605 (9th Cir. 2018) (argued) (affirming summary judgment in bad faith action in favor of third party claims administrator on Plaintiff’s breach of duty of good faith and fair dealing claim).
- Gonzalez v. Nguyen, 243 Ariz. 531, 414 P.3d 1163 (2018) (argued) (reversing and vacating adverse Arizona Court of Appeals memorandum decision, affirming trial court’s decision to vacate $667,000 default judgment, and clarifying meritorious defense standard applicable to default judgments under Ariz.R.Civ.P. 60(c)(6)).
- Soto v. Sacco, 242 Ariz. 474 (2017) (affirmed trial court’s grant of remittitur, and clarified that Rule 59(i)’s specificity requirement is equally applicable to orders granting remittiturs or additurs).
- Cleo Daily, et al., v. City of Phoenix, et al., 2:14-cv-00825-SPL (August 2017) (Obtained summary judgment in 42 U.S.C. 1983 Fourth Amendment excessive force and wrongful death case).
- Tourtillott, et al. v. Yuma County, No. CV2015-091608 (August 2017) (Obtained summary judgment on roadway design case pursuant to statutory immunity under A.R.S. § 12-820.01).
- Steven Lane v. State of Arizona, et al., CV 2014-013584 (January 2017) (Obtained summary judgment on a complex premise liability lawsuit).
- Camboni v. Golden Hills HOA, 1 CA-CV 15-0213, 2016 WL 6211790 (Ariz. App. 2016) (affirming trial court’s dismissal of Plaintiffs’ Complaint and awarding attorneys’ fees as a sanction for filing a frivolous appeal).
- Yazzie v. Mohave County, 3:14-cv-08153-JAT (July 2016) (Obtained summary judgment on Title VI and § 1983 wrongful termination action).
- In re Estate of Thompson, 1 CA-CV 14-0260, 2015 WL 5022866 (Ariz. App. 2015) (affirming trial court’s fee award to counsel for personal representative of an estate).
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Arizona Women lawyers Association (AWLA)
Presentations & Publications
- “Appellate Tip – How to Stay Collection of a Judgment While Pursuing Post-Trial Remedies,” Author, August 2018
- “Appellate Tip: Early Motions for Summary Judgment and Ariz.R.Civ.P. 56(d),” Author, January 2018
- “Appellate Tip: Preserving the Record: Tips for Objecting to Jury Instructions,” Co-Author, November 2017
- “Appellate Tip: Ensure Your Summary Judgment Pleadings Are Ready For Appeal,” Co-Author, September 2016
- “Appellate Tip: Jury Instructions – Be Careful!” Co Author, September 2016
- “An Investigative Piece on Clawback Agreements,” co-author, JSH Reporter, p. 20, Summer 2016
- “A.R.S. 12-821.01, anything new under the sun?” co-presenter, Current Issues in Governmental Liability Seminar, November 2015
- “An Investigating Piece on Clawback Agreements,” co-author, Facts & Findings, July 2015
- “An Online Gamer’s Manifesto: Recognizing Virtual Property Rights By Replacing EULA Agreements in Virtual Worlds,” 6 Phoenix L. Rev. 137 (2013)
Phoenix School of Law, J.D., summa cum laude, 2013
Class rank: 1/171
Staff Editor, Phoenix Law Review
CALI Excellence for the Future Awards
Arizona State University, Barrett Honors College, B.S., Political Science, summa cum laude, 2010
U.S. District Court, District of Arizona
U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit