Erica Spurlock focuses her litigation practice in the areas of automobile, commercial trucking, and other personal injury, wrongful death and general liability defense. Additionally, Erica represents healthcare providers involved in mental health cases, overseeing Court Ordered Treatment Plans, and other Title 36 matters. Erica was a summer law clerk for Jones, Skelton & Hochuli and has practiced with the firm since she was licensed in 2015. In her practice, she has obtained favorable outcomes for many of her clients through motion practice, settlement negotiations, arbitrations, and trials in state and federal court.
Outside of the office, Erica enjoys cheering for the Green Bay Packers, doting on her dogs, and expanding her culinary abilities with her husband and step-son. Erica also coaches girls’ basketball teams, speaks conversational French and was a member of Tufts University’s Alpine Ski Team, racing slalom and giant slalom.
- JSH attorneys Mike Halvorson and Erica Spurlock obtained a defense verdict in a wrongful death, personal injury, and negligent infliction of emotional distress lawsuit stemming from a two-vehicle accident. Lesmeister v Gauthier. Read the full case summary here.
- JSH attorneys Mike Halvorson and Erica Spurlock obtained a unanimous defense verdict in a highly publicized wrongful death lawsuit stemming from a vehicle-pedestrian accident. Brown v. Dembow. Read the full case summary here.
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Defense Research Institute (DRI), Young Lawyers Committee, Member
- Arizona Association of Defense Counsel (AADC), Member
Professional Recognition & Awards
- Southwest Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2020-2022
- Best Lawyers in America: Ones to Watch®, Insurance Law, Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants, Product Liability Litigation – Defendants, Transportation Law, 2023
Presentations & Publications
- “It Was Billed, But Is It Reasonable? Defense Strategies to Challenge the Reasonableness of Incurred Medical Bills in Arizona,” USLAW Network’s Magazine, Spring 2021
- “Managers and the Law,” Guest Presenter, Arizona State University School of Community Resources & Development, December 2019
- “State Judicial Profiles by County 2019-2020,” Contributor, USLAW Network
- “Taking an Eraser to the Blackboard: New Strategies for Combatting the Ever-Increasing Cost of Medical Care in Litigation,” Co-Author, The JSH Reporter, Spring 2018
- “Assault and Battery Endorsements: Is it Really Last Call on Bar Liability Coverage?” Co-author, JSH Reporter, Fall 2017
- “Taking an Eraser to the Blackboard: New Strategies for Combatting the Ever-Increasing Cost of Medical Care in Litigation,” Co-Author, USLAW Magazine, Fall/Winter 2017, p. 32
Boston University School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2015
Dean’s Award First Amendment, Journal of Science and Technology
Tufts University, B.A., Political Science and Art History, cum laude, 2012
U.S. District Court, District of Arizona