Justin Ackerman represents clients in federal and state appellate matters in cases involving excessive force, wrongful death, personal injury, bad faith, and premises liability. After graduating as the valedictorian of his class from Phoenix School of Law, Justin worked as a law clerk for the Hon. Michael J. Brown in Division One of the Arizona Court of Appeals. Justin has successfully represented clients and argued before the Arizona Court of Appeals, Arizona Supreme Court, and Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
During his free time, Justin trains in Krav Maga, the official self-defense of the Israeli Defense Forces, at his family-owned business. He also enjoys going to the movies with his wife and spending time with his two young daughters.
- Krause, et al. v. County of Mohave, et al., 3:17-CV-08185, 2020 WL 2541728 (D. Ariz. 2020) (obtained summary judgment on all claims in officer-involved shooting)
- Hamberlin v. Arizona Game and Fish, 1 CA-CV 18-0435, 2020 SW2017-011592 (Ariz. App. 2020) (The superior court acted within its authority by requiring the State to turn over digital copies of data extracted from electronic equipment seized without probable cause. Judgment affirmed).
- Brown v. Dembow, 1 CA-CV 19-0054, 2020 WL 896677 (Ariz. App. 2020) (holding trial court did not err in precluding Plaintiffs from offering impeachment evidence during jury trial under Ariz.R.Evid. 609 regarding Defendant’s prior drug paraphernalia conviction that was undesignated at the time of its entry and later reduced to a misdemeanor offense prior to trial).
- Chung v. Choulet, 1 CA-CV 18-0460, 2020 WL 428362 (Ariz. App. 2020) (favorably reversing trial court’s grant of Rule 60 relief to file a delayed appeal where plaintiff failed to make a showing of due diligence or extraordinary circumstances and rejecting cross-appeal arguments).
- Yazzie v. Mohave County, 751 Fed.Appx. 1018 (9th Cir. 2019) (affirming summary judgment in Mohave County’s favor in §§ 1981, 1983, and Title VII wrongful termination action)
- Ingram v. RTW, Inc., 729 Fed. Appx. 605 (9th Cir. 2018) (argued) (affirming summary judgment in bad faith action in favor of third party claims administrator on Plaintiff’s breach of duty of good faith and fair dealing claim).
- Gonzalez v. Nguyen, 243 Ariz. 531, 414 P.3d 1163 (2018) (reversing and vacating adverse Arizona Court of Appeals memorandum decision, affirming trial court’s decision to vacate $667,000 default judgment, and clarifying meritorious defense standard applicable to default judgments under Ariz.R.Civ.P. 60(c)(6)).
- Soto v. Sacco, 242 Ariz. 474 (2017) (affirmed trial court’s grant of remittitur, and clarified that Rule 59(i)’s specificity requirement is equally applicable to orders granting remittiturs or additurs).
- Camboni v. Golden Hills HOA, 1 CA-CV 15-0213, 2016 WL 6211790 (Ariz. App. 2016) (affirming trial court’s dismissal of Plaintiffs’ Complaint and awarding attorneys’ fees as a sanction for filing a frivolous appeal).
- In re Estate of Thompson, 1 CA-CV 14-0260, 2015 WL 5022866 (Ariz. App. 2015) (affirming trial court’s fee award to counsel for personal representative of an estate).
- Fernandez v. City of Phoenix, 2015 (A motion for summary judgment was granted in favor of the City of Phoenix invalidating a stipulated judgment against the City for $8.5 million in a Morris-type of agreement.)
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Arizona Women lawyers Association (AWLA)
- Arizona Appellate Practice Section, Member
Presentations & Publications
- “Appellate Tip: Do you need 54(b) or (c) language and/or a judge’s signature to have a final judgment?,” Author, April 2019
- “Judgment Day: Tips for Terminating Trial Court Proceedings and Shaping the Issues on Appeal,” Co-Presenter, Tucson Defense Bar, April 2019
- “Appellate Tip – How to Stay Collection of a Judgment While Pursuing Post-Trial Remedies,” Author, August 2018
- “Appellate Tip: Early Motions for Summary Judgment and Ariz.R.Civ.P. 56(d),” Author, January 2018
- “Appellate Tip: Preserving the Record: Tips for Objecting to Jury Instructions,” Co-Author, November 2017
- “Appellate Tip: Ensure Your Summary Judgment Pleadings Are Ready For Appeal,” Co-Author, September 2016
- “Appellate Tip: Jury Instructions – Be Careful!” Co Author, September 2016
- “An Investigative Piece on Clawback Agreements,” co-author, JSH Reporter, p. 20, Summer 2016
- “A.R.S. 12-821.01, anything new under the sun?” co-presenter, Current Issues in Governmental Liability Seminar, November 2015
- “An Investigating Piece on Clawback Agreements,” co-author, Facts & Findings, July 2015
- “An Online Gamer’s Manifesto: Recognizing Virtual Property Rights By Replacing EULA Agreements in Virtual Worlds,” 6 Phoenix L. Rev. 137 (2013)
Phoenix School of Law, J.D., summa cum laude, 2013
Class rank: 1/171
Staff Editor, Phoenix Law Review
CALI Excellence for the Future Awards
Arizona State University, Barrett Honors College, B.S., Political Science, summa cum laude, 2010
U.S. District Court, District of Arizona
U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit